This past weekend my uncle Scott and family visited, and since it was his birthday earlier this month, I had to make him a cake! This was my last cake for the year- it has great fun making them all this year, (and will not happen next year, it is a lot of work! Sorry everyone!) We had lots of fun in the short time we had!
For our second recipe test in November, Anna and I made a Creamy Bacon Carbonara and Strawberry Mimosas. It was her birthday celebration, so I made a cake for the occasion as well!
The tasty Creamy Bacon Carbonara:
Creamy Bacon Carbonara
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup Cream or Heavy Cream (Whipping Cream)
- ⅓ cup Parmesan
- Fresh diced Parsley or dried flakes
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp Red Pepper flakes
- *(I doubled the Sauce recipe, and it was perfect)
- ½ lb. bacon fried crisp then crumbled
- 1 small onion, chopped (opt )
- 3 mushrooms sliced (opt )
- ½ lb. Pasta
- Beat the eggs, cream, Parmesan, parsley, salt and the red pepper together in a bowl. I just used a fork.
- Fry the bacon until crisp, then crumble and set aside.
- With 1 -2 Tbsp. bacon grease, saute the onion and the mushrooms until the onions are translucent and golden.
- Drain the pasta and while still warm, add to the onions and mushrooms. Pour cream mixture into the pasta, and stir over low heat for one to two minutes.
- 3-4 Strawberries
- 3 1/2 Oz. Champagne (or Sparkling Wine)
- 3 1/2 Oz. Orange Juice
- Mix orange juice and strawberries with a little shaved ice in a blender until smooth.
- Pour into a chilled wine goblet and add cold champagne. Stir gently so as not to lose the bubbles.
Our Strawberry Mimosas turned out not so great- something must have happened because the pictures on the internet make them look seriously good:
I made Anna a Harry Potter birthday cake- there’s no better way to celebrate your late 20’s! It was a good dinner- especially the Creamy Bacon Carbonara (YUMMERS!) – I would have a lighter hand with the hot pepper flakes though, and it really doesn’t need onion in it at all. Happy November!
Posted in 2013 Manifesto, Cake Decoration, Recipe Test
Tagged Bacon Carbonara, Bacon Carbonara recipe, birthday cake, Creamy Bacon Carbonara, different way to make pasta, fall food, Harry Potter birthday cake, Harry Potter themed cake, Mimosa, recipe test, Strawberry Mimosa, Strawberry Mimosa recipe, Strawberry Mimosas
This past weekend we celebrated my grandma’s 21st birthday. It’s pretty awkward she’s younger than me! 😉 She’s a great lover of cherry pie, so instead of making a cake, I made her favorite, cherry pie. It’s cheating, but since this is my manifesto I say it counts. Happy Birthday Grandma, I love you!!!
Two of my best friends have their birthday in June.
I sent my far away friend Lindsey homemade chocolate cupcakes in the mail.
I made my friend Danielle a mini chocolate cake- the all white with flowers was inadvertently wedding-ish in the few days leading up to her nuptials. And a far cry from her actual wedding cake, wow!!
I’m so grateful for two such awesome friends, happy birthday ladies!! ♥