This past weekend Anna and I tried out our second recipe test of September, and continuing with the fall theme made some delicious treats that remind me of earthy comfort food. We made a Caprese Quinoa Salad and Blonde Apple Brownies- they were even a little healthier than our usual, go Anna!
The food- with recipes:
Fresh Caprese Quinoa Salad
- -1/2C quinoa
- -8 oz fresh mozerella
- -1 carton grape tomatoes, halved
- -fresh basil
- -2T olive oil
- -salt & pepper
- 1. In a medium sized pan, bring 1C water and 1/2C quinoa to a rolling boil. Reduce heat and simmer on LOW until all of the water is absorbed. This should take anywhere between 10 and 15 minutes. *Cooking your quinoa on low is extremely important. If you let it simmer on a hotter flame, the water will absorb too quickly and the quinoa will turn out hard!
- 2. Cool the cooked quinoa in the refrigerator for at least an hour before preparing the salad.
- 3. To prepare the salad, slice grape tomatoes in half [hot dog way] and cut the block of fresh mozzarella into bite size pieces. Mix together. Then, add the chopped basil and cooked quinoa and give the salad a toss. Next, drizzle on the olive oil and season with a little salt/pepper (to taste). Give your salad a final toss and serve cool or at room temperature.Apple Brownies
- 1/2 cup butter, melted1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 medium apples – peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×9 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat together the melted butter, sugar, and egg until fluffy. Fold in the apples and walnuts. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture until just blended. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.