We went tailgating at the Royals vs Nationals game during the retro Jersey night. We had so much fun tailgating that we missed out on getting one of the Monarchs t-shirts given away to the first 10,000 fans. Sad, but tailgating was awesome. It was crazy hot, but we had a blast ‘front gating’ in front of my car (the parking attendants tell you how to park) and watching the game day antics.
The Cast of Characters for the baseball strawberries:
Piping the ‘stitching’ onto the strawberry baseballs:
So cute! (Pinterest is awesome!)
The Cast of Characters for the beer cheese dip:
Soooo… I had a recipe for the pulled pork sandwiches. Then I got lazy and bought a pre-made package. Who wants to spend hours slow cooking in the crock pot?
My genius plan:
We packed up everything in a box and a cooler and made our way to Kauffman Stadium to see the Royals game! Even though it was brutally hot, we had so much fun, and the food was delish!
Slow Cooker BBQ Apricot Pulled Pork Sandwich Recipe:
(Makes 8 servings)
1 cup barbecue sauce
1 1/2 cups apricot preserves
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
3 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
Combine barbecue sauce, apricot preserves, dry onion soup mix, dijon mustard, and soy sauce in a medium bowl. Place pork roast in a slow cooker sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Pour sauce over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours. Shred meat with two forks and use a slotted spoon to serve on buns or rolls.
sports- dipped strawberries
Yield: 24 to 36 dipped berries
Prep Time: 60 min + freezing time
Cook Time: 12 min
These strawberries are fun for Father’s Day or sport’s- themed parties…
Wilton’s candy melts- white, orange, cocoa and red
2 pints of strawberries
1. Make baseball-dipped berries: Melt white candy melts in a glass bowl in the microwave (about 2 minutes). Stir until smooth. Dip strawberries in white and set on waxed paper. Once the strawberries are all dipped and set, melt a few of the red candy melts in a glass bowl (microwaved). Spoon the melted red into a piping bag (or use a sandwich baggie with the corner snipped off and a small tip inserted into the corner- Wilton #2). Carefully pipe laces onto the white dipped “baseballs.” Let them set before moving to a platter.
2. Make basketball-dipped berries: Melt orange candy melts just as you melted the white. Dip strawberries into the orange and set them on waxed paper. Then melt a few of the cocoa melts and spoon those into a piping bag with a small tip. Carefully draw basketball lines on the orange dipped “basketballs.” Let them set before moving to a platter.
3. Make football-dipped berries: Melt cocoa candy melts just as you melted the others. Dip strawberries into the brown and set them on waxed paper. Then melt a few of the white melts and spoon those into a piping bag with a small tip. Carefully draw a line across the bottom and the top of brown-dipped “footballs” and draw the laces down the front. Let them set before moving to a platter.
*Candy melts can be found onlineand at craft and baking stores. They are GLUTEN FREE.
*If you’d like a darker line on your dipped basketballs, melt a few dark chocolate chips and use those for piping in place of the melted cocoa disks.
*These can be made early in the day and left at room temperature until ready to serve, or stick them in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Beer Cheese Dip
- Serves: 3 cups
- Prep Time: 15 min.
- ½ to ¾ cup beer
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 packet (1 ounce) Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dips Mix
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese softened
- Combine Cheddar cheese, cream cheese and dips mix in medium bowl. Gradually stir in beer until mixture reaches desired consistency. Garnish with green onion and additional Cheddar cheese. Serve with pretzels or vegetable pieces.