Just in the nick of time for the end of July I’ve got the second recipe test ready to be posted- Anna and I tried out a new main dish and dessert at my apartment. The main dish was alright, but the dessert was soooo good!! We made a Tomato Basil pasta dish and Apple Pie Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes:
The Cast of Characters for the Tomato Basil Pasta:
Making the sauce:
The Cast of Characters for the Apple Pie Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes:
Creating the delicious morsels of sugary pastry amazingness:
Enjoying our meal!
One Pot Wonder: Tomato Basil Pasta
12 ounces linguine pasta
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid
1 large sweet onion, cut in julienne strips
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
2 large sprigs basil, chopped
4 1/2 cups vegetable broth (regular broth, not low sodium)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Parmesan cheese for garnish
1. Place pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and basil in a large stock pot. Pour in vegetable broth. Sprinkle on top the pepper flakes and oregano. Drizzle top with olive oil.
2. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Cook until almost all liquid has evaporated – leave about an inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot – but you can reduce as desired.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper, stirring pasta several times to distribute the liquid in the bottom of the pot. Serve garnished with parmesan cheese.
Apple Pie Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced in to 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Juice of half lemon (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 can (12.4 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated cinnamon rolls
- whipped cream
- caramel-flavored syrup
- Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray 8 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add apples; cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons brown sugar, the cinnamon and salt. Cook 5 minutes longer or until tender. Stir in lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix butter, flour, 1/4 cup of brown sugar and walnuts with fork or hands until crumbly. Set aside.
- Separate dough into 8 rolls. Flatten each into 4-inch round; place in muffin cup. Divide apple filling evenly onto rolls in muffin cups. Divide flour mixture evenly over apples.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until bubbly and tops are lightly browned. Cool slightly before removing from muffin cups. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.Serve cupcakes topped with whipped cream and a drizzle of syrup.