This winter has been extra snowy in the Midwest- and three days into Spring it decided to have one last (hopefully) hurrah. In order to avoid the roads during the storm Anna and I had our recipe test at my parent’s house this past Saturday morning for breakfast. I chose a fruit and yogurt parfait, and Strawberry Almond Stuffed French Toast. Both keepers for sure!
Mixing the ingredients for the creamy filling in the french toast. I replaced the sour cream for a healthier option- vanilla yogurt. Also included, cream cheese, powdered sugar and almond extract:
Cutting ‘pockets’ into the french bread- along side the mixture for dipping: milk, eggs and vanilla extract:
Loading the creamy mixture and fruit into the bread pockets. We used strawberries and blueberries:
The finished french bread for everyone!:
The finished parfaits for everyone:
So easy- and tasty!:
The finished french toast:
You can add some more filling and strawberries on top – SO GOOD!:
That afternoon the storm started, and we got about 8 inches when it was all said and done Sunday morning. Here’s hoping Spring is right around the corner!
Strawberry Fruit and Yogurt Granola Parfait
- Light Vanilla Yogurt
- Oats and Honey Granola cereal
- Strawberries (or another fruit)
Layer ingredients and enjoy!
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1½ cup sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 12 sliced 1 – inch thick
- Garnish – ½ cup confectioner’s sugar and ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- Using an electric hand or stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, confectioner’s sugar, and almond extract until light and creamy. Transfer the cream mixture to a a bowl and cool in the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle the sliced strawberries with sugar and gently stir the strawberries to evenly coat them.
- In a flat based container, beat the eggs, milk and vanilla extract.
- Make a deep cut in the center of each slice of bread to form a pocket.
- Remove the cream filling from the refrigerator. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the filliing inside the formed pocket of each slice.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of sliced strawberries inside the formed pocket of each slide.
- Gently compress the opening of the pockets closed.
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat.
- Spray the pan with non-stick spray
- Soak a slice of bread in the egg mixture on each of its side. Do this to as many sliced that will fit in the pan comfortably. Cook each side of the French toast until golden brown. Do this until all twelve slices are cooked.
- To finish the dish off, dust each slice with confectioner’s sugar and slivered almonds. Left over strawberries and cream can also be spooned on top of each slice. Serve with maple syrup if desired.