Our chilly February recipe test at my apartment took SO long to make, but it was worth it! Risotto takes a long time to make! On the menu: Red wine Mascarpone Risotto and Creamy Lemon Oat Bars.
Cast of characters for the Red Wine Mascarpone Risotto:
Cast of Characters for the Creamy Lemon Oat Bars:
Making the Creamy Lemon Oat Bars:
Making the Red Wine Mascarpone Risotto:
Snacking while stirring in the chicken stock- it took so long!
Basketball after our late lunch- it had been awhile!
Creamy Lemon Oat Bars
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
How to make it
- Heat oven to 375F degrees.
- Coat 8×8 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix milk, lemon zest and lemon juice in medium bowl until thickened; set aside. Mix remaining ingredients in medium bowl until crumbly.
- Press half of the crumbly mixture in pan; bake about 10 minutes or until set.
- Spread lemon milk mixture over baked crust. Sprinkle remaining crumbly mixture over the lemon milk mixture, press down gently.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown and center is set but soft. Cool completely. Cut 4 rows by 4 rows.
Red Wine Mascarpone Risotto
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablepspoons mascarpone cheese
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat and add the butter and melt. Add the shallots and garlic and stir for about 3 minutes until fragrant. Add the rice and stir until it just begins to toast.
- Continue to cook the rice for about 1 more minute and then add the wine. Once the wine has evaporated, add the chicken stock, 1/2 cup at a time. Stir the rice constantly and add another 1/2 cup of stock once the previous addition has been absorbed. Continue this process till you have no more stock.
- Once all the stock has been absorbed, remove the rice from the heat and add the mascarpone cheese as well as chives, lemon zest and 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Season with salt and stir to combine.
- Let the risotto sit for 2 minutes and then serve.